The firm of Tinn Criddle solicitors can truly claim to be one of the very earliest established legal practices in the country. The legal business now carried on from the firm’s High Street office with its imposingly distinctive Georgian frontage in Alford has its roots in the town in the seventeenth century and can trace its history back to William Carnley who was practising at least as far back as 1774, although the firm may well have existed earlier.
In a remarkable chain of long service, there have been six principals with interlinked periods of office covering some 200 years until Peter Criddle joined the firm in 1967:
William Carnley (1774-1806)
Titus Bourne (1805-1859)
Frederick J. Rhodes (1854-1894)
S.B. Carnley (a great grandson of W. Carnley) (1883-1947)
John R. Tinn (1938-1988)
Peter M. Criddle. (1967- )
Today, as a traditional country solicitors’ practice, the firm provides a wide range of legal services to private family and business clients in the local community and beyond. The Alford office, with branch offices at Spilsby and Sutton-on-Sea, undertakes mainly non-contentious legal work; while, at Skegness, the firm’s partners and colleagues there under the practice name Tinn Criddle Hall also provide contentious business and litigation services.
The firm’s historical connections with the East Lincolnshire area are much appreciated and respected by the present partners and staff who, building upon the foundations of the past and utilising essential modern office technology, are keen to maintain the traditional standards and values of their predecessors.